Tuesday, September 1, 2015

#SparkNA Experience

SparkNA is my second writing class and this time, it's all about New Adult Fiction. This is almost the same as BuqoYA. The instructions were also given through e-mails and there were (optional) face-to-face classes, which I still hadn't got a chance to attend to.

Was I challenged?

I was challenged but for me, buqoYA was still more challenging than this. Why did I say that? In this class, we didn't have any tropes. The only thing we had to do and make sure we noted, our protagonist should be brave. Yep, that's right. She or he has to be brave. We were taught to make an outline, which I do whenever I write. But the thing about this class was that, there were questions asked in every act. And that was a first for me. Because I do outlines but I don't divide it into different acts in which I have to resolve an issue. There were the story elements and the heat levels. Since this class was New Adult, a little bit or something steamy (or more of it) was okay.


The story I wrote in this class was a story I started in March but never got to finish the first chapter. So when this class emerged, I was like, that story was perfect for this. I started outlining and as I went along, it felt like I was watching my story unveil its own in my very eyes. I was excited to start it by then.

Did I finish?

I did finish the story! Yey! I felt accomplished. Just like in buqoYA, we were asked to send the final draft. Only this time, the reward for finishing is not only a distribution deal from buqo. This time it's a publishing deal from Anvil Publishing. That was my motivation when I was writing my story. They said that when an opportunity knocks, let it in. It's not exactly knocking on my door but it's close. If I didn't finish the story, would I even get the chance to be published? No. So I took the plunge and gave my best for the story. Not eveyone who joined in would be published. Selected writers with the best stories were be the one who's going to be published. And I was hoping, wishing, crossing my fingers that my story was one of it. I had to have hope in myself and my story.

The waiting time

When the deadline was up, everyone who finished rejoiced. Only, we had to wait  for three months before we find out who were going to be published. That's a little bit long but we could wait. I can wait.

The feeling

Three months is actually almost over now and I'm still hoping my story get through. If not, then I'll just keep on writing until I get that chance.

Afterword

Thank you again, Ms. Mina, for this opportunity. We all know that SparkNA is not completely over and I'm excited to what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment