Tuesday, March 3, 2015

#buqoYA experience

It's my first time to join a writing class and I was excited for it since it's all about YA (my favorite!). We were given instructions through e-mail. There's also two (optional) face to face class which I wasn't able to attend both for some reasons.

The experience per se

Nanowrimo is challenging and so is joining a writing class.

#buqoYA class was challenging. There are different tropes in which Ms. Mina is going to be the one who'll give it to us. But before that, we were given some clues. List of movies and books were sent to us to give us the idea on what the categories would be. I was given the trope #FTMTF which stands for Friends To More Than Friends.


I've written a book called 'Never Love your Best Friend' to cut off the growing population of books about best friends falling in love with each other. With the category given to me, I had to forget the storyline of my book or I might not execute my #buqoYA story well.


It took me three chapter one before I decided to just write random chapters. I couldn't get past the first chapter and I was a little bit frustrated to know that I spent a week just to get chapter one done. I used twitter to communicate with my classmates to ask on how would I be able to cut off writer's block. My writer's block is usually staying for a month and I don't have a month to let it linger. Sometimes it comes when you desperately don't want it to be there. And I was thankful that there was at least one who helped me out (@KiraBabyLou on twitter, thanks again!).
On the third week, I knew I had to step up or else I would be left behind.

I finished my story on the fourth Sunday. I pushed it away for two days to clear my mind again. On the last Wednesday, I asked one of my workmate to beta-read my story. We're actually side by side when she's reading it (Thanks, ate Lovely!). I didn't have that much time to send it to another beta-reader so I trusted my gut feeling and just went for what I think was good.

The feeling


I feel so accomplished already even though it's only been a story draft that I've submitted. The story needs more editing but I'm happy with the way it turned out.


The challenge (part 2)


It's not over 'til it's over. Part 2 has just started. We have our deadline for the final draft and the e-book cover. So I'm off. I'll be needing some rest, give myself some treats before I drowned myself in editing/revising/rewriting.


Afterword


Thank you, Ms. Mina for this opportunity. I'm excited for the next class I joined in.

No comments:

Post a Comment